6.04.2006

rewind to: chicago

ncs debauchery, liquor, mr. ralph steadman


So back to that National Cartoonists Society Annual Weekend of Debauchery I mentioned so lovingly a couple posts back. The NCS never fails to let down this Young Cagle, but this year was particularly interesting in its own grown up, fucked up kind of way. Or perhaps this is all normal and I've just finally (finally!) been allowed to sit at the adult table this family Christmas (and my parents are just thrilled!).

This was the third anniversary of the Friday late night karaoke debac- er, festivities. This is, of course, the only evening where some might argue I over-imbibed - and, appropriately, the only evening of which I personally have photographic evidence. Songs were sung, - or screamed, in the case of Mr. Lifetime Achievement Award Winner Ralph Steadman - drinks were drunk and much fun was had.

Mr. Steadman was the biggest news of said Weekend, pissing off the red-staters with an acceptance speech in which he trashed Bush and "the belly of the beast," presumably Chicago/middle America. It amazed me that this was not completely expected - the guy was best friends with Hunter Fucking Thompson for christ's sake. I, of course, gave him a standing ovation, if only for his Thompsonesque walk up to the stage.
Other details: winners included the prolific and talented Mr. David Silverman and the patient and sensitive Mr. Gary McCoy, who may use his heavy award for effective cock-blocking cum next year. Unfortunately Mr. Lucci/Piraro lost out to this year's Editorial Cartooning Pulitzer winner Mr. Mike Luckovich for the Big Reuben Statue Of Golden Naked Cartoon Characters, but fortunately we all know he's going to win soon, because he's (some clever and insightful comments that boil down to awesome! here).

As for Chicago: overall, I can't say I'm much of a fan. I greatly enjoyed the Art Institute and of course the Weekend's events, (and yes, I'm a total fuck-up and didn't go to Quimby's, please taunt me forever) but on the whole, I found the city to be too big shouldered, Midwest, meat-and-potatoes for my sophisticated vegetarian coastal sensibility. I've been told by several people that I just "didn't go to the right places," but I've come to the conclusion that these people are crazy, and I reject their opinions outright. So I say: screw Chicago.

3 Comments:

Blogger JM said...

Sobriety's for the boring.

As for Quimby's, for shame! I managed to pick up my fair share of locally-produced minicomics. Wicker Park may have been what you needed to appreciate the city, at least a little more -- especially the cavernous Myopic Books with its neverending musty labyrinth of bookshelves.

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

susie, "who may use his heavy award for effective cock-blocking cum next year"?

I don't even know who you are anymore.


love you,

matt

4:27 AM  
Blogger Susie Cagle said...

inside joke, matty, inside joke.

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home