5.20.2006

neil strauss wants to game me; i reluctantly accept

the misogynist game, naked swedish 10s, the annihilation scam


So being the worldly young master of science that I am, I signed up for Neil Strauss' ("The Game") mailing list a few weeks ago to keep updated on the goings-on of the male pick-up artist community. I figured, perhaps naively and perhaps underestimating my own worldliness, that I need to know these things to protect myself on the rare occasions that I might actually leave my apartment. And plus, I find this PUA world quite interesting. I find "The Game" far less hateful than "The Rules," but it's still frightening that women (girls, that is) fall for this my-friend's-wallaby back-handed compliment crap - but I guess that's why I'm a girl-hating feminist. Then again, their behavior is just a creation of the male hegemony. (Though according to Nick Sylvester's lies, New York women are too smart for the Game! The Village Voice's shoddy editing has set us back to the mid '90s! But I digress.)

So far Neil Strauss has continually irritated me with his self-aggrandizing e-mails: handle "manofstyle," and last week's installment detailed how he "accidentally" took a Swedish super-model-type up to his room and "accidentally" got her naked. He got this "10" Swedish chick by using the "Annihilation Method," complete with "Black Mirror Technique." Strauss claims that he is one of only six men in the world who know the Annihilation Method (complete with Black Mirror Technique) - but now, he says, he's ready to share it with "a select few" culled from his e-mail list of more than 23,000.

And today Neil Strauss chose me. Tomorrow afternoon, he says, he'll send me an e-mail with a link to a web site that will lay out the Annihilation Method in great detail.

"My assistant is a techno-superman. He has installed some sort of code on my web site that tells exactly how many people are going there. As you know, I'm not inviting everyone to listen in on this. So - if I see that MORE people go to the site than I actually invited, I'll know that someone leaked it out. And if that happens, I'll delete the web page.

So please, Susie ...don't share this with anyone."

I'll admit, I was pretty excited. But now I feel a little dirty and complicit, being so willfully let in on this gross secret, this plan to dominate my (hotter, stupider) peers. And it seems, to me at least, to beg the question: where are the women who want to play, rather than always getting played? Are they all like those hideous Rules women, hell-bent on getting married and having babies? (Rule #7: "Close the deal - Rules women do not date for more than two years.") Can men just not stand the idea of getting played, of not having the power in a relationship? Are the Rules women right to always give the man the upper hand, to exert their power only by withholding sex? Do women really only care about goddamn babies?!

Until I complete the spiral downward into the ninth circle of utter despair over this gender inequality, I'll perhaps propel myself even further by studying the Annihilation Method - while finishing up Are Men Necessary?, of course.

2 Comments:

Blogger J said...

So I have been getting this spam from douchebag Strauss for a couple of weeks now... it reads like bad marketing, the interviews are choppy and contain nothing of interest other than losers foaming about how some women are apparently all over them... reads to me like Neil Strauss wants to sell 375 $1000+ packages to chumps who can't get laid.

Nah, this is the best internet con I've read in ages, even better than that toolbox liar Tucker Max...

J

12:34 AM  
Blogger chico said...

You are awesome girl. Strauss has no journalistic credibility to speak of. Every project he gets involved in he ends up becoming brainwashed. He tries to write a book about the pick up artist community, he ends up becoming one, he goes to write a book about creepy survivalists, he becomes one...god help us if his editors ever send him to hunt down bin laden!!! We will have another John Walker Lynn on our hands. He is a Binford quality tool (home improvement reference anyone?). The whole PUA "movement" is nothing more than another sick, sad attempt by our depraved and culturally bankrupt society to avoid its own humanity, by avoiding anything resembling intimacy at all costs. I think by virtue of your big sexy brains you are more appealing than your "stupider, more attractive peers" as you call it. Good call. And if you ever leave your apartment and come to Chicago, maybe I will leave mine and we can chill and have a Neil Strauss Book BBQ, haha. Peace.

1:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home